The “Sing your way” programme by Accor is a tailor-made Talent development programme for female service managers with potential to become Hotel Managers.
Designed to adress the glass ceiling in the hotel industry, it builds on the implementation of a personalized development plan wich includes training, experimential missions, interactions and inspiring encouters.
Brief outline of the initiative
The programme has been created in 2016 with the aim to change themindsets in teh hospitality indusyry and support the female leaders to become General Managers.
The main objective is therefore to identify talented women in Accor’s hotel and give them all the tools to apply for the GM position.
In France, the “Sing your way” programme by Accor lasts over 1 year (pilot in 2017, then renewed in 2018).
32 women are selected each year.
Key elements of the programme are as follow:
- Common denominator for all women: coaching by a mentor (with prior training of the mentor in this role)
- Training (technical and behavioural – self-marketing type)
- Experiential missions in your hotel or in another hotel (with simulation over a few days or weeks)
- 3 Collective and inspiring sessions throughout the year, exchanges with “inspiring” role models, networking, meetings with start-ups to “get out of the box” (e.g. visit Paris Pionnières). There is a tripartite follow-up: HR, Manager & Mentor
Several training courses offered including:
- Developing managerial leadership
- Becoming a team leader coach
- Gaining self-knowledge
- Promoting collaborative work
- Animating your team with emotional intelligence
- Being knwoledgabel on the operating account
- Accompanying transformations successfully
There are similar programmes and initiatives in the UK, Asia, Europe, and United Arab Emirates.
Once a year
Country of origin
Country/Region of implementation
France + UK, Asia, Europe, United Arab Emirates with similar programmes
Number of participants
Core objective of the Programme
☒ Women empowerment (identifying barriers and working on strengths, creating a community)
☐ Supporting organizational change (strategy for developing diversity, implementation of specific policies, support to change makers)
☐ Allies buy-in and support (mentors, men championing)
☐ External Scrutiny (Pledge board, Indicators, celebration of success…)
☐ Other => Please specify:
☐ Internal Diversity & Inclusion Strategy for a safe workplace with equal rights
☐ Commitment of men:
☒ Personal development training:
☒ Role model highlighted
☒ Mentoring (experienced & wise guide)
☐ Coaching (ability to inspire and grow people/Foster emulation/ Being influential)
☐ Events (sharing with other companies) - please specify:
☐ Other - please specify:
☐ Online e-learning Module
☐ Online seminar
☐ Self-Assessment tool
☒ Consolidated educational/training programme
“Only continous work and teh involvement of as many peopole as possible will create a deep change of mentalities. Gender diversity is above all an issue of social equity and we must all mobilize to never stop making progress.”Sébastien BazinChairman and CEO of AccorHotels
“Within the Accor Hotels group, I benefited from the Sing Your Way programme, which accompanies women heads of department to reach their first hotel management position. This programme has been a career accelerator.”Gaëlle GrelatGeneral Manager of the Paris Bastille Boutet-MGallery Hotel